Friday, December 30, 2005
Vicodin, More Vicodin, and apparently Percoset
The surgery went well. Thank all of you guys for the hugs and good vibes!

So I am now onto my second prescription for vicodin. The doctor at the emergency room on Monday gave me three scrips, One for Keflex, an antibiotic, one for high dose Ibuprofen, an anti-inflammatory, and one for Vicodin, Yay! This was after they gave me a (note 1) percoset at the hospital. Then yesterday after the relief that was my surgery, they gave me two percoset and something else, that for the life of me I have no clue what it is. THEN, they gave me another scrip for vicodin, ibuprofen, but a different antibiotic. I guess more powerful than the keflex to reduce the risk of infection from surgery. This shit is getting expensive. Considering the fact that I have no health insurance. UGH! That's another story for another time.

So onto the actual surgery. I had originally been told on Monday that my surgery would be at 7:30 am on Thursday. That was good because my boss is away this week so I had to go into work at some point. Then Wednesday rolled around and I got a call to set up everything (you know no food or alcohol after midnight etc, etc.) and they told me there surgery was scheduled for 10:20. I flipped out. Not so much but a bit. I explained the situation, that my boss was away, and I had to go back to work. The nice lady on the other end of the phone said to me. "You are not going to be able to go back to work. Didn't anyone tell you you are not supposed to drive OR MAKE ANY IMPORTANT DECISIONS for 48 hours?" I almost laughed in her face, but I was nice and said no one had told me. I secretly resolved to go back to work. I had to. So the hubs and I worked out a plan. Since the procedure was at 10:20 he was going to get up at 9 and go get his paycheck and get it cashed. Then he would come get me and we would go up to the hospital. Well around 8am, way before either of use had decided to be awake, the phone rang. It was the hospital. They were running ahead of schedule and could we come in now. I jumped at the chance to get in earlier. I have to admit I was mighty nervous. I had never had surgery before. The worst thing that had happened was I need five stitches in my ankle when I was 13. SO as we were getting ready and going there I had butterflies in my stomach. Well we had found the place ok. It was the Ambulatory Surgery center at the local hospital. It was a free standing building a few buildings down from the actual hospital. We went in and walked up to the front desk to check in. Now I didn't want to interfere with the anesthesia or anything so the last time I had taken my meds was about midnight. I was HURTING! at this point. Standing hurt less that sitting and getting up again though. So after I checked in the lady told me I could have a seat till they were ready to bring me in. I said I would rather stand. This was just the beginning of how nice they all were. Then she asked me if I needed a wheelchair. Oh I almost fell over with relief. "Yes!", I breathed. So I gave hubs all my stuff (my jacket and my purse, etc.) and sat down gingerly. They then brought me into a holding room where I had to change into a gown and robe which was velour and pretty nice. And I got these little fleece booties with nonskid rubber stripes on the bottom. They didn't have a bed there just a sort of recliner chair. So I got dressed and sat down, (gingerly). Then the nurse came in and asked me a bunch of questions. Hubs came in after her and we waited to see the doctor and anesthesiologist. The doctor came in first and explained what she would be doing. Then the anesthesiologist came in. He didn't speak very good English, but he was Asian and in a good mood so he was speaking very fast. I thought it was funny. (Don't yell at me. People laugh at the way I talk all the time. I didn't actually laugh at him.) Then they took me into the OR after I gave hubs a kiss and told him I loved him. I was pretty scared and in ALOT of pain at this time. Once I got into the OR they had me stand up and get onto the table. But first all the nurses had to admire my tattoos. It was hilarious because I was like their long lost grandchild or something. The anesthesiologist then stated telling me that he was going to spray something cold on my hand so the IV wouldn't hurt later. Then he put the IV in and said he was giving me the medicine. The last thing I remember is all the nurses going, "Oh the poor little baby". Then I remember waking up in the recovery room and being very cold but the ceiling was so pretty white. Then the nurse came over and gave me those three pills which were two percoset and whatever else. Then she asked the magical question, "Did I want something to eat?" She asked if I wanted cookies or toast. I said toast. Then she said white, wheat or cinnamon raisin. OH I was in heaven! I hadn't had cinnamon raisin toast in years. I was hoping she would bring it with some butter too, and she did. I also got some tea. Oh it was so good and I didn't hurt anymore. Once they drained the abscess, the pain went away. I guess the crap in the abscess had stretched the skin so tight that's why I was in so much pain. They also gave me the stitches that dissolve so I don't have to have them removed. I do have to follow up with them on Tuesday. But I am MUCH, MUCH better now. And hopefully this stupid thing won't happen again.

Again, thank you all for your support and good wishes. I should be by y'all soon to thank you individually.
posted by ~M~ @ 9:24 AM  
  • At December 30, 2005 at 12:15:00 PM EST, Blogger Laurie said…

    So glad to hear that you came thru that ok... I can imagine the relief you must be feeling.


    I love cinnamon/raisin toast, too!

  • At December 30, 2005 at 1:05:00 PM EST, Blogger GreekGoddess said…

    Where the heck have I been? I feel so bad now. I am so so sorry I missed this hon.. I hope you know how much I love you. I am glad everything went well and seriously if I can be of ANY help just holler.. you know.. I'm only a ferry away..

  • At December 30, 2005 at 1:51:00 PM EST, Blogger Helen the Felon said…

    Oof...I had the same type of cyst years nightmare. The worst is definitely over, and you'll be up & running in no time. Take huge advantage of the pharmaceuticals in the meantime, sister!

  • At December 30, 2005 at 5:28:00 PM EST, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said…

    I feel so much better knowing that things went well and you are feeling better.

    I like the part about the nurses wanting to see your tatoos. Cute!

  • At December 30, 2005 at 7:13:00 PM EST, Blogger Queenie said…

    Good to hear everything went well, and enjoy your drugs! At this point I wish I could have some percocet myself...

  • At December 30, 2005 at 10:33:00 PM EST, Blogger Spider Walk said…

    *whew* Good to see you back, and posting. Thanks so much for the update. You must have been hurting VERY bad. Sounds like you had wonderful nurses...especially the one who offered you the cinnamon and raisin toast.

    I remember getting those slipper socks too while in the hospital! Amazing how us ladies get excited about the little things huh?

    You never did say if you went back to work or not..I sure hope not!

    Kick your feet up and relax while you can ok??

    Happy New Year's Kiddo.


  • At January 3, 2006 at 6:47:00 PM EST, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said…

    Wow, I had no idea! I'm so glad you're okay and not in so much pain. That must've SUCKED!!

  • At January 21, 2009 at 3:20:00 PM EST, Anonymous Vicodin Side Effects said…

    My name is Robert Fraser and i would like to show you my personal experience with Vicodin.

    I am 27 years old. Have been on Vicodin for 1 day now. Found a few pills. I'm currently not an addict though I have taken vicodin in the past and I am certainly playing with the devil because I do like the feeling it gives me. Biggest problem, besides the addiction, is Insomnia. Tossed and turned for two hours before I decided to research it.

    I have experienced some of these side effects -
    Constipation and insomnia.

    I hope this information will be useful to others,
    Robert Fraser

  • At February 18, 2010 at 3:40:00 PM EST, Blogger V.S. Shivan said…

Post a Comment
<< Home
About Me

Name: ~M~
Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Rubydiamond80. Make your own badge here.
Template By
Isnaini Dot Com